Though we hope we never have to use them, it's always helpful to have those emergency phone numbers and websites on hand just in case. Here is a list of important numbers which might come in handy during bad weather in the Huntington / Five Harbors Area.
picture taken from video by Meagan Brognowski
Emergency Dial 911
This is when police or other emergency help is needed
Non-emergencies requiring police response:
24 Hr Emergency Contact Phone Number
Office of Emergency Management
Huntington Highway Department
Highway Hotline: 631-499-0444
Suffolk County Parks Police Non-Emergency
Suffolk County Sheriff Emergencies:
2-1-1 Long Island
2-1-1 Long Island connects people to local health and human service and programs.
Dial 2-1-1 or call-free 1-888-774-7633 http://www.211longisland.org
- Cablevision: Huntington, Oyster Bay: 516-364-8400
- PSEG LONG ISLAND (to report or find out about electrical outages and to report downed power lines) 1-800-490-0075
Web Page: https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/CustomerService/ReportOutage
- National Grid (gas emergency) 1-800-490-0045
Web Page: https://www1.nationalgridus.com/NewYork
- Suffolk County Water Authority (24 hour repair) 631-665-0663
Suffolk County Water Authority 631-698-9500
- Verizon 1-877-773-8399
Web Page:http://www.verizoninternet.com/ (Spanish)
- Long Island Rail Road 516-931-9213
- MTA Long Island Bus 516-228-4000
- Suffolk County Transit Information Services M-F 8:00 am to 4:30 pm 631-852-5200
Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT) Services 631-738-1150
Operating since 1994, Suffolk County Accessible Transportation (SCAT) provides curb-to-curb service to individuals with disabilities.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency 800-621-3362
- NY State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services 518-292-2200 ( 24 Hrs)
- Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management 631-852-4900
- Red Cross (24 hour) 1-877-733-2767 http://www.redcross.org/ny/mineola/about-us/contact-us
- Salvation Army 631-654-9380
Poison and Drug Center, including poisonous plants ( 24 hours)
- Poison Control 800-222-1221
- Suffolk County Health Dept. 631-854-0000
Emergencies after 5:00 PM & Weekends 631-852-4820
- Public Health Hotline 631-787-2200
- Suffolk County Public Works 631-852-4010
- Suffolk County Office of the Aging 631-853-8200
- If you are homeless and in need of shelter - Please call the Suffolk County Department of Social Services 8am-4pm - Monday to Friday – Please call the SC DSS Temporary Housing Assistance Unit at, (631) 854 9517.
After 4:30pm, Weekends & Holidays - Please call the SC DSS Emergency Services Unit at, (631)854-9100.
Heating Emergencies (Fuel & Repair):
- If you are out of home heating fuel or in need of an emergency burner repair Please call the Suffolk County Department of Social Services. 8am-4pm - Monday to Friday – Please call the SC DSS Home Energy Assistance Program at, (631) 853-8820.
After 4:30pm, Weekends & Holidays Please call the SC DSS Emergency Services Unit, at (631)854-9100.
- NYS Dept. of Insurance 800-342-3736
- NYS Dept. of Transportation 631-904-3050
- NYS Police 631-756-3300